Pints for Prostates

Monday, October 17, 2011

Extra Pale Ale

Extra Pale Ale with specialty grains
The beer I chose for my initiation into the home brewing hobby is the Extra Pale Ale. I like beers with a lot of hop flavor and this recipe seemed like a good basic beer to start with. In particular, it showcases the flavor and aroma of Cascade hops. I'm hoping that by using some recipes that feature only one hop variety I can better discern, for myself, the qualities that characterize each hop.

I ordered the Extra Pale Ale extract kit from Northern Brewer.

The recipe I used is as follows:
  •    1 lbs Belgian Caramel Pils (specialty grain)
  •    6 lbs Gold malt syrup (split addition at 60 and 15 min)
  •    2 oz Cascade hops (60 min)
  •    1 oz Cascade hops (1 min)
  •    Safale US-05 Ale Yeast

No comments:

Post a Comment