|Sanitized bottles with plastic wrap|
- Put a bottle cap on bottle, then take it off.
- Mix priming solution of sugar and water. (2/3 cup in 16 oz of water for corn sugar, 5/8 cup in 16 oz of water for table sugar)
- Bring solution to boil, then let cool.
|Bottle caps in sanitizer|
Kim took care of the priming solution preparation. She boiled the water and sugar solution in a small pot. When the water hit boiling, she turned the burner off and removed the pot from the burner.
- Prepare sanitizer in bottling bucket and sanitize the following:
- sanitize autosiphon and tubes
- sanitize bowl
- sanitize thief
- sanitize spoon
- sanitize bottles --> put bottles aside and cover with plastic wrap
I used StarSan to sanitize everything.
Kim fed me some crackers with cheese and pepper jelly while my hands were all wet. The snack was much needed as we neared noon.
- Try siphoning sanitizer into a bottle.
Again, I added this step so that I could try the autosiphon. Apparently, you need to start with three pumps, not one.
- Pour sanitizer into bowl.
- Count bottle caps and put into bowl with sanitizer.
- Take final gravity with the thief.
|Using the autosiphon to move beer |
from fermenter to bottling bucket
- Empty sanitizer from bottling bucket.
- Pour priming solution into bottling bucket.
- Siphon beer from fermenter into bottling bucket.
12. Stir gently to mix with solution.
- Use bottling wand to siphon beer into bottles. Place cap on each bottle after it's filled.
|One case capped|
- Cap bottles.
Once all the bottles were filled and capped, I put the beer in a dark, warm closet to condition.
15. Wash everything.
The whole activity took about two and half hours. I'm sure this duration could be shortened with experience.