Pints for Prostates

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Ezra Saison

To conclude the summer of Belgian beers, I brewed a Saison on 2012-08-27. I used Jamil Zainesheff's Raison D'Saison recipe in his Brewing Classic Styles book. My recipe deviated some. I added fresh lemon thyme from our garden, chamomile flowers, and crushed coriander. My hop additions deviated some too.

The beer is named after our new French Bulldog/Pug ("Fug") puppy, Ezra. Hopefully the beer will be good enough to represent such a cute puppy. If not, I'll name some other beer after him. He's my new brew buddy. He's already very fascinated about the beer ingredients and brewing process (when he's not napping). You can see in the photo below that he wanted to eat help me design a beer. 
Ezra wants to design a beer recipe (I think)
I want to use a new format for describing my brew day data. It's loosely based on the format used on the Mad Fermentationist blog.

Ezra Saison

Recipe Specifics
Batch Size (gal): 5.5
Total Grain (lbs): 11.76
OG: 1.052
Wort Boil Time: 90 min.

2 liter starter

Grain
10.5 lbs Pilsner malt
.51 lb wheat malt
.75 lb Munich malt
67 g Caramunich

Hops
1.0 oz Hellertau (3.8 AA) @ 90 min
1.0 oz Hellertau @ 42 min
1.0 oz Hellertau @ 0 min

Extras
1 g lemon thyme @ 5 min
5 g chamomile flowers @ 5min
11 g crushed coriander @ 5 min

1/2 tab Whirlfloc
1/2 tsp yeast nutrient

Yeast
Wyeast 3711 French Saison

Mash Schedule
Sacch rest 90 min @ 147 F
Sparge 1 20 min @ 147 F
Sparge 2 15 min @ 150 F

Notes
Made a 2 liter starter (2012-08-26). 117 g of DME (I was short on DME). About 3 tbsp sugar added. Shook a few times. Decent, but not great start.

First brew day with Ezra. He liked the spent grains.

FG: 1.004 on 2012-09-18  
Ezra eating handful of spent grains

No comments:

Post a Comment