Pints for Prostates

Friday, April 20, 2012

Matilda

Sour beers have been gaining popularity in the West Coast. I've read about many breweries adding space to age more sour beers. Here in New York State it can be tough getting hold of such beers. Most of the best examples are made in Belgium or in California; the Cantillon and Russian River breweries, respectively, are marked examples. 

There are other breweries that are closer, but finding their beers can be hit or miss depending on the State. Those breweries that I am aware of include Jolly Pumpkin in Michigan, New Belgium in Colorado, and Allagash in Maine. Our Ommegang brewery in Cooperstown, NY is an excellent Belgian-style brewery, but they have not gotten hip to the sour beer thing as far as I know. 

I'm not going into the specifics of sour beers here, but suffice it to say they tend to have some tart and funky flavors, they are fermented with wild yeast and bacteria, and require longer aging periods.
Matilda
Matilda is a Belgian Style Pale Ale made by Goose Island in Chicago, IL. I'm drinking the 2011 release. The label states that it is a Pale Ale re-fermented with Brettanomyces yeast (or "Brett"). 7% ABV.

Appearance: Golden, almost orange color. Moderate carbonation.  

Aroma: Green apple. Rotten apples. Peach. Baby food carrot puree. 

Taste: Tart apple and subtle funk. Some sweet beer malt, as the beer warms. It's easy to taste a range of subtle fruit flavors.

Mouthfeel: The beer has a nice thick mouth-feel. There is a dry, lip smacking finish.

Overall Impression: I liked it. There is the Brett sourness and funk, but not as low a pH and overbearing funk as the Lindemans Gueuze Cuvee Rene I tasted. This beer has a thicker mouth-feel and some malt sweetness. The level of sour/tart is approachable. The flavor improves as it warms. Seems like a good starter for newbies.


2 comments:

  1. Its nice to read your review. I also recently wrote a review on this beer and I just didn't notice much sourness. In fact I didnt even realize it had brett! I realize we both drank this fairly young, and I only had one bottle. I would like to get some more and let it age!

    my review = http://shegoguebrew.blogspot.com/2012/03/goose-island-matilda.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice review. Thanks for sharing! It is interesting that you tasted something different. I know Brett yeast can keep going and that such beers will change as they age. However, we both had new releases. I definitely had sour characteristics. My fiancee winced when she sipped.

      Delete